Tel Aviv – vibrant, dynamic and full of energy – is becoming one of the most popular destinations for travelers around the world for many reasons: There are countless things to put on your Tel Aviv bucket list! Tel Aviv is famous for its beaches, nightlife, music, art, food, and style. Both tourists and locals alike agree, this one of a kind city is a mix of old and new, that continues to grow and is certainly a must-stop destination while traveling in the Middle East! Here is our Tel Aviv bucket list of things to do when visiting this incredible city.
First, Coffee! EXPLORE TEL AVIV’s COFFEE CULTURE
The coffee culture in Tel Aviv is an experience unto itself and exploring it shouldn’t be missed on your Tel Aviv bucket list. You will not find a Starbucks anywhere but instead will find a variety of chains and artisan cafes on every corner that encourage you to sit down to enjoy your coffee, rather than taking it to go. No matter what time of day, you always see tables with people drinking coffee. It is worth slowing down to enjoy a “cafe ha’fooch” (literally translates to upside down), the Israeli version of a latte, or in the summer you cannot beat the iced coffee!
Check out some local coffee stops:
- Cafelix coffee – Shlomo ha-Melekh St 12, Tel Aviv-Yafo
- Nahat Cafe – Dizengoff Square, HaRav Reines St 1, Tel Aviv-Yafo
- Mae cafe – Shlomo Ibn Gabirol St 98, Tel Aviv-Yafo, 6404624
- Cafe Habima (We like you too) Ben Zion Boulevard 31
- The Urban bakery – Nitsana St 14, Tel Aviv-Yafo
- Kiosk Est 1920 – Lilienblum St 3, Tel Aviv-Yafo
INDULGE in Israeli Breakfast
Israeli breakfasts are famous for serving a wide variety of dips and spreads along with eggs, salad, bread, coffee, and juice. You will also come across “shakshuka” (eggs poached in tomato sauce, cooked with peppers and onions). While many hotels serve breakfast buffets, it is worth venturing out to check out some amazing breakfast options that Tel Aviv has to offer.
- Bread Story – Dizengoff St 88, Tel Aviv-Yafo
- The Norman Hotel Nachmani 23, Tel Aviv-Yafo
- Anastasia – Frishman St 54, Tel Aviv-Yafo
- Lehamim – HaHashmonaim Street 103, Tel
- Delicatessen – Yehuda ha-Levi St 79/81, Tel Aviv-Yafo
Dress like a local
Tel Avivians are known for their unique style. You will see all types of fashion as you roam the streets, and you will see how almost anything goes when it comes to street style. Check out some cute, local shops to try out some of the looks to see if you can blend in with the locals! These shops should be on your Tel Aviv bucket list:
- Belle & Sue – Sheinkin St 41, Tel Aviv-Yafo
- Aviva Zilberman – Melchett St 23
- Alef Alef – Shenkin St 55 Tel Aviv
- Agas and Tamar Jewelry – Shabazi St 43, Tel Aviv-Yafo
- Mayu – Shabazi St 15, Tel Aviv-Yafo
- To soak up the urban vibe of the city, take our Tel Aviv Urban Tour
Hone Your haggling at the souk
The markets of Tel Aviv are a special and sensorial experience. Try out your bartering and bargaining skills negotiating with the vendors. Ranging from foods, spices, gifts, toys, fresh produce – all of Tel Aviv’s markets are worth exploring and have their own unique offerings. We highly recommend the following ones:
Art and Culture
Tel Aviv is known for its booming art scene and exploring this is certainly one of the things you must do when visiting. From contemporary to street art, you can find it all. Not to mention the continually growing music scene which is gaining attention worldwide.
Pita, Pita and more pita
The culinary scene in Tel Aviv is growing and many different types of cuisine can be found throughout the city. It’s roots will always come down to the food served in a pita, whether it is falafel or shawarma, you can even find some of the best gourmet food served inside a fresh, fluffy pita that you must try!
- Sabich Frishman – Frishman St 42, Tel Aviv-Yafo
- Miznon – King George St 30, Tel Aviv-Yafo or Shlomo Ibn Gabirol St 23, Tel Aviv-Yafo
- Mifgash Osher – King George St 105א, Tel Aviv-Yafo
- Hakosem – Shlomo ha-Melekh St 1, Tel Aviv-Yafo
- Jasmino – Allenby St 97, Tel Aviv-Yafo
I scream, you scream, we all scream for…
Nothing beats cold ice cream on a hot day! You have your pick of some of the world’s best ice cream. Ranging from classic flavors to dairy-free/vegan ice cream, to some of the best frozen yogurts out there, you can find whatever you crave at any of Tel Aviv’s must-try ice cream stops. Locals eat ice cream rain or shine, anytime is a good time for ice cream.
- Anita’s Ice cream – Shabazi St corner of Pines 40, Tel Aviv-Yafo
- Tamara Frozen Yogurt – Ben Yehuda St 96 (multiple locations)
- Topya – Ben Yehuda St 126
- Buza Ice cream shop – HaHashmonaim St 91
- Otello – Dizengoff St 165, Tel Aviv-Yafo
Stroll Through The neighborhoods
It is easy to spend a morning, afternoon or evening just exploring this incredible city by foot. Tel Aviv is an extremely walkable city and you can find tiny little pockets as you explore different neighborhoods. Put on your walking shoes, and get lost in these gorgeous streets and areas, with a Tel Aviv walking trip – no map necessary!
Spend an afternoon walking casually through the beautiful neighborhood of Neve Tzedek. Bougainvillea flowers pouring into the streets, and Instagram worthy walkways, this neighborhood is a perfect place to spend an afternoon shopping, or just enjoying the surroundings. Many visitors opt for taking this Tel Aviv architecture tour with a guide.
Walk up and down Rothschild Boulevard all the way down to Habima theatre. Spend an hour relaxing on the grass, or in the garden that plays classical music all day. A great place for people watching or reading a book. Make sure to grab a coffee from one of the kiosks along the street.
Beach, beach, beach!! The boardwalk “tayelet” covers the gorgeous beaches from south to north. You can walk the whole path, or pick one of the many beaches and spend the afternoon listening to the “matcot” (racquet ball) players and watching all the surfers catch some waves.
Meander through Florentin neighborhood and check out the graffiti-lined streets or relax at Hayarkon Park, a beautiful, green and big park in the middle of the city. Perfect place to take a bike ride or enjoy a picnic.
Grab a Drink
After a long day of checking things to do off your bucket list, sit back, relax and go grab a drink. From local artisan beer to gourmet cocktails custom made just for you, there is something for everyone. Check out some of these local watering holes to quench your thirst and enjoy!
- Kuli Alma – Mikveh Israel St 10, Tel Aviv-Yafo
- Beer Bazar (multiple locations) Yishkon St 36, Tel Aviv-Yafo
- Imperial Cocktail Bar – HaYarkon St 66, Tel Aviv-Yafo
- Botanika – Hayarkon 78, Tel Aviv-Yafo
- Hamazeg – Ibn Gabirol Street 151, Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
- Herzl 16 – Herzl St 16, Tel Aviv-Yafo
Escape the city and explore the rest of Israel
Tel Aviv is not only an amazing city, but it is also an excellent base for day trips to the rest of Israel. Jerusalem – the Holy City – a place full of history and culture is only an hour drive away, so it makes for the perfect destination for a day trip, for example by joining this Jerusalem, Dead Sea, Bethlehem, & More Tour. If you prefer to escape the bustling city life completely, join a trip to the famous desert fortress Masada and the Dead Sea for a day filled with nature and relaxation. Extend your bucket list with an only-in-Israel experience and watch the sunrise over Jordan and the Dead Sea from the top of Masada, by taking a Masada Sunrise Tour or even join a magical Sunrise Yoga session.