We’ve compiled this handy resource with Israel travel and tourism statistics. While recent years were slower for tourism globally, the number of visitors has been growing post-Covid. Here are our top Israel tourism and travel statistics for 2023.
Israel Tourism Statistics
- Israel has nearly 9,000 licensed tour guides. Knesset.
- Israel has had 2.5 million tourist entries in 2023 so far. Trading Economics.
- In 2019, Israel has seen the largest tourist influx with 4.9 million visitors. Israel Government CBS.
- The largest source of tourists visiting Israel is from the USA (900k), with France (300k), Germany (280k), and UK (220k) following closely after. Israel Government CBS.
- Israel averages 114,000 tourists arriving by cruises alone. Israel Government CBS.
- Additionally, 360,000 visitors entered Israel for less than one day, including cruise ship tourists, those crossing Israel’s land borders, or on layover awaiting connecting flights. Israel Government CBS.
- In 2023, The Ministry of Tourism allocated 340 million NIS for public tourism. This included road repairs, topographic beautification, and park enhancements. Israel Ministry of Tourism.
Individual & Group Tourist Statistics
- 27% of visitors to Israel come as part of a group tour while 73% come solo (FITs). Israel Ministry of Tourism.
- Majority of tourists come to sightsee while 19% come for pilgrimage purposes. Israel Ministry of Tourism.
- The average cost of a one-day tour in Israel is $100. Tourist Israel.
- The overall average stay is 10 nights. Israel Ministry of Tourism.
- Nearly 45% of tourists are returning visitors to the country. Israel Ministry of Tourism.
Israel Hotel Statistics
- Israel has 56,000 tourist hotel rooms as of 2023. Israel Government CBS.
- Tel Aviv has 121 hotels, Jerusalem has 91 hotels, Eilat, 51 hotels, Tiberias, 39 hotels, and the Dead Sea has a total of 15 hotels. Israel Government CBS.
- In addition to hotels, there are over 15,000 rooms in hostels, guest houses, pod hotels, and short term rental apartments, like AirBNB.
- Tel Aviv is the most expensive city to stay in Israel with an average hotel night costing $256. Jerusalem comes in close second, averaging around $250 a night.
- Israel’s leading chain hotels like Isrotel, Brown Hotels, Hilton, and Selina are always improving and/or developing new properties.
Israel Airport, Flight, and Airline Statistics
- 19 million international passengers passed through Ben Gurion Airport in 2022. 2023’s total tally will be released at the end of the year – watch this space for updates.
- Israel currently has 3 international airlines – El Al, Israir, and Arkia, and will be adding Air Haifa in early 2024. IAA.
- Israel has a total of 3 functioning airports: Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv, Ramon International Airport (ETM) in Eilat, and Haifa Airport in Haifa.
- The top airlines with the highest amount of Israel-bound passengers are: El Al, Ryanair, Israir, Turkish Airlines, and United Airlines. IAA