Nazareth is believed by Christians to be the hometown of Jesus Christ. Today, the city is Israel’s largest Arab city. Combine these two factors and you begin to see why Christmas in Nazareth is such a special experience. Whilst Nazareth, nestled in the tranquil hills of the Galilee, may be incredibly unlikely to have snow at Christmas, the city’s large Christian population celebrate along with thousands of tourists who visit for the holiday.
Nazareth’s Christian population decorate their Christmas trees which can be seen across the town, put on their Santa costumes, and celebrate the birth of Jesus with festivals, church services, presents, and parties. On the eve of Christmas, there is a massive colorful procession through the town to celebrate.
Christmas in Nazareth 2018 events:
- December 9: A Christmas Village will take place at the Moravian Historical Society -12:00 pm-4:00 pm, including food stations, gifts and pony rides for children
- December 17: The official lighting of the Christmas Tree on Paulo VI Street and Christmas tree lighting at Mary’s Well at 19:30.
- December 17-22: Christmas Market. The street fair has food and arts and crafts.
- December 24: Procession of the Grotto of the Nativity at 16:00
- Christmas Mass at the Basilica of Annunciation at 00:00.
- December 25: All Catholic churches will celebrate mass. Mass at the Basilica of Annunciation will begin at 7:00, with a festive mass at 10:00
See our article about Nazareth for more information on this interesting city, or our article about Christmas in Israel for general information.