Wondering how and when you need to get a Covid Test if you are planning a trip to Israel? Currently getting tested while traveling to Israel is still important and required to keep track of the spread of Covid-19. This applies whether you are vaccinated or not. After over two years of social distancing, mask-wearing, and Zooming, life is slowly starting to seem a little more normal. But public health and safety is still as important as ever. Read on for all the details regarding Covid tests in Israel.
Last updated on September 01, 2022
Who needs a Covid Test when traveling to Israel?
The regulations on who is allowed to travel to Israel are constantly changing. For the updated details on who is allowed to travel to Israel, read COVID-19 Update: Israel Travel Rules & Guidelines.
At the moment, covid test is not required in order to enter Israel.
What’s needed to travel to Israel?
- Since March 1, 2022, Israel has been open to all tourists (including children) regardless of vaccination/ recovery status, provided they have negative tests before flying and after landing.
- A Ministry of Interior entry form must be filled out within the 36 hours before your flight. You should be prepared to show this at check-in or boarding of your flight.
- Since May 20, 2022, testing is no longer mandatory.
- A VIP Fast Track service at the airport (from $180 per group) can reduce queues in the terminal both on arrival and departure and make the experience far more relaxed. For those who would prefer to entirely avoid queues and relax in a private lounge with transfers to/from the aircraft by vip car, the Fattal Private Terminal (from $450 per group) can avoid the entire main passenger terminal and by its nature is entirely wait free.
- Stay updated on flights to Israel for the latest information.
How to get a Covid Test in Israel before leaving Israel?
You must take a COVID Test before traveling to most countries from Israel. Currently, most countries require that this is done 72 hours before flight departure or land border crossing, apart from the USA which requires it to be done on the day of or day before your flight. There are two common types of test – PCR test (accepted by all countries) and Rapid Antigen test (accepted by most countries including most European countries and the USA).
For example, if you travel to Switzerland with a flight departing on Monday at 09:00 (9am) you can do the test any time from the previous Friday at 09:00. If you travel to the USA with a flight departing on Monday at 23:00 (11pm) you can do the test any time on Sunday or Monday, however, bear in mind that tests take time to return the results.
Here are the different options for getting tested along with the easiest ways to do it:
Also known as molecular tests, this test provides results within 36 hours (for standard test) or 14 hours (for express test). PCR is considered the most accurate test and is accepted by all countries.
- PCR Covid Test in Tel Aviv – The tests are available at our central location in Tel Aviv every day of the week including weekends. Results are delivered by email in English – for standard speed tests within 36 hours; and for express tests within 14 hours. Cost is from $99 per person. More information. Currently not available.
- Door-to-door PCR Covid test anywhere in Israel – A representative arrives directly to where you are staying (home or hotel) and delivers the results to your email – for standard speed tests within 36 hours; and for express tests within 12 hours. This option is convenient, and avoiding standing in lines, visiting hospitals, or waiting for results. Cost is from $149 per person. More information.
Rapid Antigen Covid Tests:
Also known as lateral flow tests, this test provides results within 15 minutes.
- Rapid Antigen Test in Tel Aviv – The rapid test is available in our central test center in Tel Aviv from Sunday to Thursday. Results will be ready within 15 minutes and will be sent in English by email. Cost is from $39 per person. More information Currently not available.
- Door-to-door Antigen Test in Tel Aviv – Our representative will arrive at your address in Tel Aviv and the results will be delivered to you by email in English up to 1 hour after the test. Cost is from $99 per person. More information
Serological Tests & Other Options:
- Test at a hospital or a clinic. This is a private and often complicated process for non Israeli passport holders as many clinics are not able to provide the service to non Israeli citizens, and others are not able to provide the required documentation in English. Cost in a private hospital such as Assuta Medical Centers, is, as of May 2021, approx $220 (750 ILS) for Israeli citizens and $290 (950 ILS) for non-Israeli citizens.
- PCR test at the Ben Gurion Airport lab. This requires you to go to the airport a day before your flight in order to do the test, and then return again a day later (so factor in an extra two-way airport transfer). Or you can arrive at the airport 7-8 hours before your flight and pay extra for a quick test.
- Private to-your-door Serological Test. A representative arrives directly to you accommodation and test results will be delivered to your email in English 9h after the test was done (tests made between 7-11 am), or until 4 pm (tests made after 11am) the following day. Another option is to book an appointment at the test center in Lod, near Ben Gurion airport. The cost is from $279 per person.
- For those who travel from Israel to Jordan by land, and then depart from Jordan, no Covid test is needed to leave Israel, but it might be required to leave Jordan. More info on PCR tests in Jordan is available here.